Rhinoplasty is not a very complicated operation and one that requires too much preparation before surgery. The actual intervention lasts 2-3 hours, it is performed by the plastic surgeon, and beforehand medical investigations are made to certify the patient’s health. The cost of a rhinoplasty operation varies between 1300 and 2900 euros, and the minimum age for such an operation is 18 years. Depending on the desired result, the optimal path of intervention will be established.
Types of rhinoplasties
There are several types of rhinoplasty surgery depending on the desired purpose, but also on the manner in which it is performed. Thus, a rhinoplasty can be:
- Through these incisions, the doctor has access to the structure of the nose, thus modifying its shape and dimensions according to the patient’s physiognomy.
- In addition to closed rhinoplasty, it has an incision in the spine (the area that digs the nostrils). The skin is detached, the cartilage and bone are correct, then the suture is performed. The doctor has better visibility in this case on the structures of the nose. As for the incision in the columella, it heals so quickly that 3 months after the operation, it is difficult to detect. I point out that each of these methods has its own indication.
- It is the operation that is performed after a first rhinoplasty whose results were not satisfactory.
- Although requests are rare, there are patients who want an increase (enlargement) in the nose. It is a situation that addresses more people with a collapsed nose, a small projection of the nose.
Preparing for surgery
Before rhinoplasty, patients should pay special attention to their health and the substances they ingest. Anyone who is about to enter the operating room for rhinoplasty must know the following rules:
- It is forbidden to take aspirin and medicines containing this substance two weeks before the operation.
- The operation must be done outside the menstrual period.
- The operation is postponed in case of a virus or infection in the body.
- Excessive sun exposure before surgery should be avoided.
- Patients’ nutrition before surgery must be balanced and varied.
Types of anaesthesia for rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty is performed under general anaesthesia with orotracheal intubation for increased comfort of the patient and the doctor performing the operation.
How rhinoplasty surgery works
After anaesthesia, the doctor performs the incision – which can be closed or opened – lifts the tissues that cover the nose and cuts his way to reshaping the structure of the nose. The septum is straightened, if necessary, and the projections inside the nose are reduced. After these procedures to improve breathing, the supporting structure of the nose (nasal pyramid) is shaped into the desired shape. After remodelling, the tissues and skin are reset, and the incisions are closed.